Coworking and shared office space have become popular with small businesses and entrepreneurs. They’re a great way to work somewhere other than the kitchen table, without the price tag that comes with renting a permanent private office. But finding the right shared space can be tricky… so what do you need to know?
What’s the difference between coworking space and shared office space?
Coworking spaces and shared office spaces may sound similar, but there are some key differences.
Shared office space tends to refer to an office that can be flexibly rented out to a business so they can bring their whole team together. The benefit of these spaces is that an entire team can come together periodically, without having to rent a permanent space. Shared office spaces tend to be larger than coworking spaces. Because they’re geared towards supporting companies, they also often offer perks and tech that coworking spaces don’t. Essentially, they allow small businesses to keep overheads low whilst still occasionally utilising a more traditional workplace setting.
Coworking spaces are workstations in a shared space that can be rented by individual employees. This means that individuals without a permanent office space get access to a professional environment they can use flexibly on their own terms. This is often also called “hot desking”. The biggest benefit to this for individual employees and entrepreneurs is access to a workspace that feels like an office, without the costly overheads of permanent office space.
Things to consider when looking for shared office space
The amenities at one shared office space are likely to be different from the amenities at another. This is also true for things like cost, the flexibility of rental terms, and how busy the space is on a day-to-day basis.
Think of coworking and shared spaces like Airbnbs. When you stay at a chain hotel, they all have the same policies, the same amenities, and their costs are all similar within the same areas. However, every single Airbnb is different. The same goes for shared office space and coworking spaces.
There are many shared office spaces around (especially in cities) so if you know what you’re looking for then you’ll find a space to suit you.
Here are some things to consider:
- Your budget. Sure, it’s nice to work somewhere other than the kitchen table. However, if you’re not bringing in huge profits it’s important to make sure your spending is cost-effective. Take care to make sure the cost fits your budget in both the short and long term.
- How regularly you can use the space. There’s no point finding the perfect space only to discover it’s free to use once in a blue moon. Make sure the space is available to you as regularly as you will need to use it.
- How long you can rent the space for. Are you going to use the space for a couple of hours? A whole day? A week? Perhaps even longer? If you know you’ll only need the space for a very short time, ensure that the terms of the space suit you. Some places offer very short term usages, whereas some require you to rent for longer.
- What the amenities are. Some shared office spaces offer a shared kitchen and provide tea and coffee. Some offer conference rooms that are free to book into after you’ve paid the initial fee. Every place may offer something different, so you can find the right combination of amenities for you.
- If you’re looking for coworking space, you might want to ask about how busy the space usually is. If a bustling, creative office is what you’re after, then somewhere quiet and often empty might not suit you so well. However, if you need a quiet space in order to focus, the latter might be right up your alley.
How can you find shared workspaces?
Wondering if there is a coworking and shared office space in your area? Here’s how to find them:
If you’re looking for coworking space, a quick Google search for terms like “coworking spaces”, “collaborative workspace” and “rent a desk” along with your postcode or town should show you what’s on offer.
If you’re looking for shared office space, try something similar. Search “short term office space”, “flexible office space” or “shared office space” along with your area code or city name, and you’ll find your answer.
Once you’ve rounded up the results, compare what they have to offer you and figure out which spaces suit you and your needs best.
How can Magenta Self Storage help meet your needs?
Here at Magenta we offer flexible office solutions perfect for businesses of all shapes and sizes. We want to make getting shared office space super easy. Our coworking space is simple and comfortable and can be tailored to your needs, no matter if you’re a specialist who needs the work area just for a couple of hours or an established company with plans to lease a work area with us long-term.
Our shared office space is available for both short and long-term tenancy with all amenities included in the price. Whilst renting an office with us, you will have access to a conference room and coworking space with an additional desk area.
We don’t like hidden extras or tricky contracts – just a great workspace for you – either alone or with your company. That’s why all our office space comes with utilities and WiFi included in the price. We also offer our self storage facilities on the same site. This means that if you need storage for stock or business records, they’re still right at your fingertips. With comfortable workspaces and flexible contracts, you can give your business the perfect home.
We offer coworking space and private offices in Oxford, West London, and Banbury, and coworking space in Nottingham. Give us a call on 0800 802 1360 today, or visit our office space rental page to find out more.